Each year, the ATTA produces the Industry Snapshot Report, a compilation of data resulting from the survey of adventure travel industry operators on topics such as destinations, activities, and industry business practices.
The 2020 report reveals industry insights such as top-of-mind adventure destinations, average trip length, common operational practices, financial data and more.
A few key findings in this year's report include:
- 74% of trip costs are spent with local suppliers and each guest spends an average of $206 on local handicrafts/souvenirs
- Top adventure activities are hiking; culinary, cultural, and wellness-focused activities; and electronic bike cycling
- Custom itineraries and greener/sustainable/low impact itineraries remain in high consumer demand
- Outbound adventure tour operators report the following regions experienced significantly increased client interest in 2019: South America, the Antarctic, Western Europe, Central Asia, and the Mediterranean
- 80% of adventure travel tour operator clients are between the ages of 45-64
- The average cost per day of a trip in North America in 2019 was $447
The Industry Snapshot Report offers those working in adventure travel with critical industry benchmarks, and those outside the industry with perspective on the health, outlook, and characteristics of this dynamic environment.